Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Reflection on Student Engagement

Real Story
  Meet Bryan, upcoming senior on our IchallengeU team. Bryan loves football and can't stop talking about it on his first day at the summer academy. His life revolves around work, football, friends, and going through the motions. During the two week summer academy, Bryan engages in a life changing experience in a field that he had no previous interest in...Agriculture! Bryan had a hard time shutting down at night because he couldn't get the problems out of his head! He left the program with a new life goal of making it back into the board room of Zeeland Farm Service as a business professional.
Have we really spent time to focus on what student engagement looks like? I wonder if we have a major misconception of the importance of time on task? Upon some reflection and reading I have come to the following ideas...

How should we document student engagement? 
     The first step in documenting student engagement is understanding what we are looking for. What does student engagement look like? If I am in church sitting through the sermon, I can look very engaged and can play the "game" just fine...but my mind is in a completely different place. On the flip side, I can learn in a variety of ways and one such way is through walking and talking...does walking and talking look like I am engaged? I think that there are three levels of evaluating engagement. 

Three Levels of Evaluating Engagement:
  1. Visual: What do I see my students doing? In my opinion, the lowest level of evaluating engagement lies in what we see. In our science classroom, rarely do you see the teacher talking in front of the class. Students are moving, talking, debating, wondering, questioning, socializing, living, breathing, reading, writing, drawing, laughing, looking, daydreaming, etc... How do you decipher what is engaged and what is not? Is the learning meaningful? In Alfie Kohn's blog entry, "Time on Task" he talks about meaningful learning leads to faster learning which lends time irrelevant in the big picture. I think we can do better to understand where each student is in his/hers level of engagement.
  2. Conversational: What are my students thinking? If I want to know what my students are thinking, I can't do it by visual cues. Conversations can occur verbally or written and attack a much deeper level of understanding. Having conversation of what they are doing, thinking, wondering, dreaming, and living will lead to clues about their level of engagement. How can we best create learning environments that foster this conversation on a consistent basis? I have a fellow teacher, Mr, Fuzak, who has a great line hanging in his room..."every student...every day". 
  3. Impact: Are my students making actual change to the way they think, live, or learn? Is the highest level of engagement a situation where we have made actual change in the way someone thinks, lives, or understands a concept? Is our classroom environment allowing more "Bryan's" to exist in the world? Will our students work to create positive change in our health, environment, workplace, and world to name a few? How can we best create this learning environment in our everyday classroom? 
     To document this, I challenge us to focus on the conversational and impact piece. Instead of using a visual cue to dictate a checkmark in the "Class Dojo" app, there better be a conversation to go along with that checkmark. In addition, we need to continue to have students "share their story" on what is impacting them. I wonder if we should use this documentation to relate back to their skills for success and/or if we should use it for teacher reflection? 

How can we help students self-reflect on their own engagement? 
     While engagement is not usually listed as a 21st century skill or skill for success, it is an essential component to ones ability to be productive.  Would it be best to reference engagement as a "state of mind" and not a skill? If so, how do we teach students to self reflect on their "state of mind"? A couple of thoughts come to mind: 
  1. Can we teach students how to self advocate for methods to get back on track?
  2. Are we OK with non-conventional methods of providing students time/space/freedom to refocus? 
  3. Can we change focus from "Time on Task" to the actual meaning of the activities and include students in this discussion? 
  4. Can we provide an adequate portfolio system where students can reflect upon and share their engagement?
     In conclusion, I want to work at documenting the higher level of impact our classrooms have on our students.  I want to have conversation and understanding to drive our documentation of student skills and state's of mind. I look forward to continuing this discussion with my colleagues and PLN this upcoming year! 


References:
"The Limits of "Time on Task" - Alfie Kohn." 2011. 18 Sep. 2012 <http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/tot.html>

4 comments:

  1. This can really open up a can of worms for people who think everything fits in tiny boxes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sign me up for this conversation! You want a wild world of what student engagement could look like, feel free to step into Room 32 and 23 third graders. How engaged is the kid sitting on the exercise bike in the back? How about the one staring right at me (without blinking I might add)? What about the AI student who is skipping along the wall? I decided a long time ago I am not a mind reader and I decided in the past few years (thanks to my PLN) that it is up to the kids to show me their level of engagement. I tried this last week. After a short science experiment, a short lecture, and a video clip, all on the idea of friction, I looked out among the sea of learners and simply said "Ok, prove to me you just add something to your brain files about friction." Slowly but surely the hands started to go up and I began recording their thinking on the big screen. Guess what?, bike rider shouted out (didn't raise his hand - working on that social rule with him) one of the best answers of the bunch. AI student told me some great information- the next day, and "engaged" looking right at me student - simply blinked. Hmmmmmmm I love this topic! Let's keep talking, I am engaged :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of craziness are you people talking about? Engaged is an individual approach, not a broad stroke of well behaved kids? Blasphemy! I was able to witness the "Bryan" story this summer with Ted, and it was a powerful lesson...for me. And it wasn't just Bryan. Our group came from a ton of different backgrounds, and all with different learning abilities. Even with all of these "differences", we never once went over "classroom rules" or a " management plan". We also never had to remind the kids to "get back on task". We simply turned them loose. Kids went to the bathroom on their own, got water on their own, went for a coffee break on their own, you get the idea. Yet, their ideas and final products were better than anything I've experienced in the classroom (the classroom where all students need to be silent and focused for 71 minutes in order to be engaged). We had one student that actually said they would give up their college credit to continue on a solution that might not have been approved by the leaders! They were that passionate about it. Now, I realize that the groups we worked with were smaller, and did not reflect the real demographics I see day-to-day in class. However, what I witnessed has to be at least better than what I'm doing now. Freedom, choice, and trust. Hard things to give to a classroom of student...but I saw it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete